How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10776
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I am a landlord of a property on which our Assured Shorthold

This answer was rated:

I am a landlord of a property on which our Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement ran out 9 months ago. I need to move back into our property due to change in family circumstances, what is the minimum amount of notice do I need to give my tenant?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

You will need to give your Tenant 2 months Notice, such Notice to expire on the day before the day in the month when the rent is due (ie if the rent is due on the 20th of each month, you would have to serve notice on him on or before 19th May, giving notice to end the Tenany on 19th July).

The notice does have to be in the prescribed form of a Section 21 Notice- you can obtain such a Notice by doing a simple search on the internet.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position to you.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But the tenancy agreement expired 9 months ago.

Hi Bev,

Thanks for your reply.

I am afraid that even though the fixed term of the Tenancy has ended, it doesn't entitle one party to end it now immediately, a sit becomes a " statutory periodic tenancy" .You do, therefore, need to serve Notice giving 2 months notice (your Tenant would be under a duty to give you 1 month's Notice if he wanted to end the Tenancy).

Sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but if I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Al we have given her 7 weeks as she would be away on holiday for the 8th week. Although she wants much much longer.

Thanks- well, as mentioned previously, for your Notice to be valid, it has to be for at least 2 months notice period and be in the correct form of a Section 21 Notice.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you