How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My husband and I have moved into my parents (father now deceased)

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have moved into my parents (father now deceased) house. We would like to know how we go about adding our names to the Title Deeds of the property (all agreed by my mother)?
Thanks for your question.
Is their a mortgage on the property?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, my husband and I have paid this off when we moved in.

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If there is no mortgage then you could attempt to prepare the transfer and register it yourselves. However, it would be fairly cheap to instruct a solicitor to do this for you.
It would cost around £200-250+ VAT and I would say that it is worth doing, particularly for your mother so that there is no question over her legal capacity in understanding what she is agreeing to (ie. so that it cannot be disputed later)
Additionally, if your father’s name is ***** ***** on the title then the solicitor would sort this out as well, ditto if the charge in favour of the mortgage lender is still registered against the title for the property
If you still wish to proceed in view of this then you can arrange it yourselves if you wish
You can download a copy of the register for your property from the land registry's search engine to find the title number :-
Enter the postcode for your property and if it is registered it will give you the option to download a copy of the register.
You will have to draft a Transfer (form TR1) from your mother to you both (which you will both have to sign as a deed (ie. witnessed) and you can download the template form from the land registry's website. You will have to submit this to the land registry with their form AP1, this is also downloadable from the website
by selecting from the "Forms" link:-
You will both also have to download an ID1 form from the above for each of you. Complete this then take it to a solicitor to certify for £10 and submit this with your AP1 application.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tom

Thank you for your reply.

This information is with regard to 'transferring' the Title Deeds, but we want to 'add' our names (along with my mother's name); does the same information apply?


Yes, absolutely. It's still a transfer of title.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I just confirm that by 'adding' myself and my husband's name to the Title Deeds, my mother's name will still remain?


Yes, provided that you include her name in the "transferee" box in the Transfer along with you/your spouse.
Thomas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you