How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10737
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I am recently divorced and my ex wife is retaining the house

This answer was rated:

I am recently divorced and my ex wife is retaining the house and is supposedly deal with the transfer of equity. We have previously agreed and signed a consent order. Under the terms of the order, all matters relating to the transfer of the property should have been completed within 28 days. This deadline has passed and I am unsure of how to proceed without running up large bills

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

You would need to go back to Court to enforce the terms of the Consent Order. I appreciate you may not wish to do this.

In practice, transfers of equity nearly always take longer than 28 days to complete (Consent Orders normally give 56 days for any transfer of equity to be completed), so hopefully, your ex wife will get it sorted out shortly.

I can only therefore suggest that you write to your ex wife or probably best her Solicitor, threatening to go back to Court, unless you are given an assurance that the transfer will be completed shortly.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hi Warren,

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards