How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now
Property Law

I was just wondering were i stand i have lived in a rented

hi i was just wondering... Show More
hi i was just wondering were i stand i have lived in a rented property for 8 years now and for the past 6 years i havent seen any landlord or even paid any rent to him i have renovated the property to high standards would i soon be able to claim this house as my own as this landlord clearly isnt interested in this property
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Show Less
Ask Your Own Property Law Question
replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What type of tenancy did you have please?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

it was a 6 month tenancy

Ash, Solicitor replied 2 years ago.
Ok. You can apply to the land registry for adverse possession but you need ten years for this. Then when you apply they notify the owner of your intention to seek the land possession. The owner will have a limited time to object. If they do not then it is transferred to you. If they do object then your claim for adverse possession fails.
But you do not gain any more rights for being there eight years. You need to register the land after ten years.
Please see
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

so if he rejects can i appeal that and what happends if he doesnt reply and what is the usual timescale for him to reply ?

Ash, Solicitor replied 2 years ago.
It's down to the Land Registry for timescale. No you can't appeal, it's not your land sadly.
Does that clarify?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

but this landlord has abandoned the property i dont even have any contact address or phone numbers for him

Ash, Solicitor replied 2 years ago.
That does not automatically mean it is yours. You have to register it at the land registry under adverse possession rules.
Ash, Solicitor replied 2 years ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.