How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71137
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

I rented a room from a man I did not have a contract he did

This answer was rated:

I rented a room from a man I did not have a contract he did not give me a contract as it was short term I gave him 2 was notice he is now withholding my deposit.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was living in a rented room in a flat I lived in it for 2 months but I had no contract I have noworked moved on I had told the owner I was leaving in 2 was once I left I asked for my deposit back he refused & told me I needed to give him a months notice.

So what is your question about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As far as I am concerned I didn't have a written contract it was an agreement I told him 2 wks prior to me leaving out of good faith but he refuses to give me my deposit back,I would like to know if I am in the wrong?

Yes, you probably are but it is not as bad as you might think.
There was a contact. The fact there was not a written one is a non issue. One clearly exists.
He is entitled to notice of one term of the rental period. Normally that would be one month. In exceptional cases you would try to argue that one week is sufficient but you will have to prove that you only paid weekly.
If he is entitled to one months' notice then two weeks is inadequate and he has a claim for the remaining two weeks. That is not going to be the entirety of your deposit though. You would be entitled to something back.
Sorry but I can only give you truthful information.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you