How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 12182
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My flat has been damaged by a sudden flood of water from my

This answer was rated:

My flat has been damaged by a sudden flood of water from my upstairs neighbour's flat. I have written to the insurer but they state that as I have not proved that she was negligent, they will not reimburse me even although the flood was highlighted to my neighbour at the time of the flood.
Thank you for your question.
Unless you can prove negligence on the part of the owner of the upstairs flat then the claim should be directed to your own insurer and not you neighbour.
A third party claim will never be settled unless negligence is established.
JGM and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you