How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10776
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I would like to obtain a small verge of land that runs next to my

This answer was rated:

Hi, I would like to obtain a small verge of land that runs next to my garden fence, so we could push our garden out by about 1 meter.
Our neighbour owns it and is nice and she would even be happy to give us this land ,, as it's of no use to her. But I would like to gain it without any annoying involvement for her.
We tried before , I have a solicitor, and a surveyor has marked out thee boundaries on paper etc, but she couldn't get her solicitor to talk to her mortgage provider , they just wouldn't deal with her, wanted someone bigger. So my neighbour lost interest.
How could we do this, without her being bothered to much, the little piece of land would make a nice difference to our garden. Thank you.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Unless your neighbour pays off her Mortgage, I'm afraid there is no way that you will be able to legally have the land registered to you. This is because, with all mortgaged land, no transfer or sale of part of it can take place without the Mortgage Lender's consent. Without this consent, the Land Registry will not register the Transfer of the land to you.

As long as a suitable Plan has been drawn up, which appears to have alreaby been done, most Lenders would grant consent as long as it does not materially affect the value of your neighbour's property. I really don't know why your neighbour's Solicitor had a problem obtaining this- most Lenders are approachable and are under a duty to correspond with us Solicitors.

If the above is not possible, the only other thing you can do is to go ahead and encompass the land into your garden by moving your fence. I must say this would not be an ideal scenario, as you wouldn't legally own the land until the period of 10 years has expired and at which point you would have to apply for "possessory title" of the land at the Land Registry. Therefore if you were to sell your property in the next 10 years, you are likely to face a problem in that your Buyers Solicitor would want you legally acquire the land, so you would be back to square one.

I would therefore suggest that you perhaps offer to pay your neighbour a sweetener to get the job done correctly and to perhaps instruct another Solcitor to write

to her Mortgage Lender.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your swift response. I completely understand.
Can my solicitor contact her mortgage lender (Santander) , or is that a conflict of interest? She doesn't want to find a Solicitor herself, she's too busy and wouldn't know who to use. And also, wouldn't it cost her if she used her own solicitor? The lady (solicitor she used, worked from home, and Santander said they wanted a bigger firm....odd! I personally think the lady couldn't be bothered. I'm happy to pay, and do all the paperwork, I'm sure my neighbour would sign things, she just doesn't want to make phone calls etc. it's all so frustrating. Any ideas? Thank you..Ashley.

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid each of you need to instruct separate Solicitor's to avoid the possibility of a conflict of interests.

Santander would normally make an admin charge for granting consent- usually around £100. Likewise, your neighbour would have to pay her Solicitor. As you stand to benefit from the transaction, it would be normal and reasonable for you to agree to pay your neighbour's legal fees (likely to be approx £400 plus VAT) and Santander's admin fee, so that she is not out of pocket.

However, if your neighbour is not willing to instruct a Solicitor, you are slightly stumped I'm afraid, as any Solcitor will need to take instructions from her directly. Not sure if you are in the financial position to also pay her say £300-500 for the land, in the hope that she will be prepared to take active action?

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you