How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

We have an application to the court

Customer Question

we have an application to the court for warrant for possession which has not been commenced to get tenant out of house tenant has now moved out but has left some possessions can we now change locks/ and what do we do with items left in property
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. If you are sure that the tenant has vacated then yes you can change the locks. What property has been left behind? Are you able to contact the former tenant?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

next door neighbour said she had left an almost everything has been removed some furniture has been left

what an we do with remaining items do we need to keep them

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
If possible you should contact her and give her a time when she can collect the things. However, you are under no obligation to keep her belongings at your expense and you are entitled to dispose of them if you wish.
It would be sensible to wait as long as possible before taking them to the dump etc. and if there is anything of high value it would make sense to keep it safe for her.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so I can change the locks without th warrant for possession as she has left and I already have judgement order

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Yes, as long as she has left.