How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10734
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I may have the opportunity to buy a garage from a neighbour.

This answer was rated:

I may have the opportunity to buy a garage from a neighbour. The garage is at the bottom of his garden, but opens directly onto a side road - there is no driveway. It would be possible to sell the few square yards of garden with the garage on it without any difficulties about access.
If I bought the garage, how would I go about establishing it as a new, separate property? Presumably there is a standard procedure - where would I start?
Thanks for any advice!

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

If you proceed, your Seller's Solicitor would draw up a Land Registry Transfer document, to include a Plan of the land being sold to you. Your Solicitor would register this Transfer at the Land Registry after you had completed the purchase. The Land Registry will then register you as the new owner of the land and the land would be allocated a new Land Registry Title Number.

The land and your ownership of it will then be a separate entity to the Seller's house and any land they retain.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks - very straightforward!

Could the Land Registry Transfer document be drawn up by my solicitor, rather than the seller's solicitor?

I think the owner of the garage would be more willing to sell if he didn't have to oversee any part of the process. If I could tell him all the legal stuff would be handled on my side, it might help things along.

Hi Michael,

Your Solicitor could prepare the Transfer, although this would normally be done by the Seler's Solicitor. If the Seller does not instruct a Solicitor, he would need to go to a Solicitor and complete an ID1 Form- this is a Form verifying his identity for Land Registry purposes.

Good luck!

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you