How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

My neighbor as a right of way on foot only on my land I would

Customer Question

My neighbor as a right of way on foot only on my land I would like to build a conservatory at back of my property ,Can I relocate his right of way on the bottom of my garden?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
The short answer is that you can only alter the route of the easement with your neighbour's agreement.
However if the alteration only causes minor inconvenience to your neighbour any action he might want to bring for compensation would be likely to lead to small award or be effectively non-actionable.
However it is hard to predict in advance what might be considered a minor interference.
It is best to get agreement.