How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33348
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I have tenants living in a property on land which I am about

Customer Question

I have tenants living in a property on land which I am about to lease.. The person who wants to lease the land says he will have to give my tenants a new lease but they have been there several years and I still will own the land, shouldn't they stay on my original lease or can he legally issue a new one please? I'm rather worried about them as they are great tenants and I don't want them messed around. Thankyou
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.
If they have been there for a while and continue to stay there under a periodic tenancy (basically rolling over from the original tenancy) there is really no need for a new lease.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Chap who wants to lease my land is insistent that he wants to change their lease but I'm worried that he may try to get rid of them and they do not deserve that so I just wanted to see if they had the right to stand up and say no we aren't signing a new lease as our current landlady still owns the land and property and I wondered if it may even be illegal to try and sub let it to them
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.
They do because they have an ongoing commitment (lease) with you. The risk however is that he can on taking over his lease from you give them notice. They may actually be better protected with a new lease, unless you enter into a new lease with them prior to him taking over. In theory this is something which should be able to be negotiated with them through your solicitors.