How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Can my local authority take over a empty property in their

This answer was rated:

Can my local authority take over a empty property in their area where it is owned by a private individual? If they can would they have to pay rent to the the owner if another person was 'housed' there by the council? Can they force the owner to sell or occupy the building?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Yes they can.
They can get a Property Management Order. They go before a Land Tribunal and ask them to make an order, the owner can object.
If the Tribunal does then the Local Authority will put a tenant there and pay rent to the property owner. The LA can at a later date force a sale of the property to them.
It is usually done in areas where there are abandoned properties and the LA has a housing shortage.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex

Thank you for your reply.

Can the owner go to the Council before any order is put in place, to agree a timeline where action can be taken to put sell or rent out the property (i believe in my case no order has been granted but has been sought) ie 6 months for example to stop any such order being given

Yes the owner can and they can withdraw any action.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thx for your help Alex


I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.