How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10794
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I am in the process of selling the freehold on a small parcel

This answer was rated:

Hi I am in the process of selling the freehold on a small parcel of land. the parcel of land is land locked by other land I own. The main entrance is securely protected from vehicles entering via electric gates. As part of the negotiations of the sale I have to be able to grant access 24 hours a day 7 days a week if needed. Can I insist on a clause in the sale agreement for an annual fee to be paid to me and if so what would be reasonable.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

It would not be normal or reasonable for you to request an annual fee, to be honest. As the land is landlocked, it is pretty worthless to any Buyer, without a suitable right of way being granted to them over your retained land.

The usual scenario, therefore, would be for you to grant the right of way, subject to the Buyer contributing a fair proportion towards the upkeep of the right of way (ie as and when any maintenance/ongoing electric charges for the gate, the Buyer will pay his due share).

You can always ask for an annual fee on top of any maintenance costs, but I doubt very much that any Buyer's Solicitor will advise their client to proceed on that basis.

Sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but am giving my honest opinion.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you