How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We employed an architect to design and apply permission

Customer Question

We employed an architect to design and apply for planning permission a 2 storey extension on side of house which as on a slope needed to be lower than existing house as ground for to be used as living area for elderly father who has a deteriorating foot problem making walking rifficulty and likely to develop into wheelchair use so slope acess to new side door and garden access at rear crucial. Plans submitted and approved. We then decided to get a single floor extension to rear kitchen and dining room to existing house obviously higher than extension as higher up the hill. News plans submitted and approved. Builders have footings in now and we realise side e tension raised substantially to be level with floors in main building. Builder got plans from atchitect and show he is building to them. Put building work on hold as side door to annex has unuseable slope to it grom front for father and to overcome it drive at front and garden would have to all be raised to accommodate slope which is very rxpensive and time. Architect blames us for not picking up this when he sent us copies of final plans he submitted to to council. But we repeatedly said to him with father present the essential fact about access being low for a future wheelchair and employed him because he draws up plans and we dont understand them ourselves and should not be employing a second person to check he has done as we asked. Got to pay the builders to take down 3 blockwork courses to accommodate 12 new air bricks to be resited. Should architect pay this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
How did you make it clear what you wanted, verbally or in writing please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Verbally, He visited at home and both my father and I always present. He could see my fathers physical problem and we repeatedly made clear he was prime consideration. The new 2 extension on rear were to be built on existing patio just as a conservatory would have been. Problem also was after second plans submitted and waiting for building regs so builders could start,we tried phoning, texting, emailing and leaving messages with his secretary for him to update us a builders waiting but had no replies. After 5 weeks father went to council offices to see what happening and no building regs applied for but on basis of planning permission he was able to be allowed to have builders start on groundwork. Complained to architect who then sorted out building regs but still have had builders commenting that things not right and putting right themselves direct with building officer.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
The Architect is responsible. You told him what you wanted and he did not do it. You are not an expert so it is not your fault for not picking it up. You made it clear exactly what was needed and he did not follow your instructions.
Therefore the Architect is liable. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is what I thought but he says he sent copies of plans and we should have picked it up. But we didnt think about it and didnt tell builder what we wanted as builder went to architects office himself to get plans as the ones we had were copies emailed to us by architect and we could only print off a4 and builder need the full size ones.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Indeed. But he is the expert, not you.
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if i need to take this further do i come back to you or use a different solicitor

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
You can come back to me, but sadly I cant act for you.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.