Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.

I rent a 5 bedroom Social Housing Association property (Genesis

I rent a 5 bedroom Social Housing Association property (Genesis Housing). Is it legal for me to leave a relative or friend to 'house-sit for a year or more while live with my family abroad? (whilst arranging the normal rent of course)
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Why are you going abroad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Study foreign language

How many children do you have and is this an optional trip?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have 4 children age 3 -12
My mother is a pensioner who lives with me but she may live with my brother if we go abroad.
Where do you intend to go?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not sure yet. Egypt (if it becomes more stable). Jordan or Saudi May do some teaching there as well.

You will have to check the exact terms of your tenancy agreement but it is very unlikely that this will in fact be acceptable given the fact that this is a voluntary decision and not one imposed by a temporary change in your employment.
Usually there is a cut off clause of six months - sometimes only three
If your Landlord discovers that you are absent then it will be possible for them to repossess the property.
I am sorry not to give better news - please ask if you need further details