How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My tenants have just moved out and have lost a set of keys.

This answer was rated:

My tenants have just moved out and have lost a set of keys. They were renting an apartment in a Victorian terrace divided into three apartments. I feel that they should pay to replace locks of the doors they have lost keys for as well as replace the keys, but of course they don't want to! What is the legal position? The tenancy agreement isn't clear on the remedy unfortunately. It is a normal short hold tenancy agreement and they have been there nearly four years.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
It's negligence. If they lose the keys they see either responsible for the replacement keys or new locks.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of that cost within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex, many thanks.

You say new keys OR new locks, but surely we will need both? Sorry if I wasn't clear but I meant to ask if they are required to pay for BOTH the new locks and the keys required for ALL who live in the house ( not just the set they lost Have lost.).I imagine they will concede to pay for the actual keys lost, (5 in total) but it's the bigger security issue I am concerned about, as some random cleaner or nanny may now have access to the house. There are three doors, six locks ( of varying sorts) and 5 different keys involved. Once you add up the keys we all have, that's a large number of replacement keys required. Replacement of the lock on the front door alone would require around 20 new security keys to be cut. Lastly, there is still a deposit held by others so would we need to go to court or is there another body to send the information to?

If they can get replacement keys, that is what I meant.
The deposit scheme may be able to adjudicate on this matter for you but you need to act reasonably and get the cheapest cost of doing the work.
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.