How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My siblings and I inherited a property. I would like the

Customer Question

Hi, my siblings and I inherited a property. I would like the value of that property but I my siblings are reluctant to sell or get a mortgage to give me my share of the property's value. As a last resort, is there legal leverage that can be employed if they remain stubborn?
many thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
HiThanks for your patience. Are you named on the registered title for the property? Kind regards Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I think so, although I haven't seen a copy of the deeds. Presumably, that would make all the difference?

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.If you are not yet registered and the property is in the name of the deceased the you should consult with your siblings about arranging for the property to be registered in your names. Once registered, you can force the sale of the property by making (or posturing to make) an application to Court. If your siblings cannot demonstrate sufficient finance to receive a mortgage offer to buy you out and transfer the equity in to his name then this may be your only option. A local solicitor would be able to do this for you and these orders are seldom refused by the Court.Although you will almost certainly get the order the proceedings can take quite a long time to sort out because there can be issues in determining what is a fair value of the property My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom