How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I have a right of way (on foot) across my back garden

This answer was rated:

I have a right of way (on foot) across my back garden for the owner and delivery of maintenance rights. The owner now using the property as a holiday let and I now have traffic across my yard of individuals I do not know. Since my deeds state that it is a right of way for the "Owner" and Maintenance teams, can this right of way be extended to anyone holiday in this property?
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
I assume the owner is the owner of the neighbouring property, and that the right of way is between 2 freehold properties. If so it will be an easement. I assume the description of the extent of the right of way is set out in your deeds.
The right of way can be used by any occupier of the property but only so far as it fits the description of use. It is doubtful if the right as granted is being exceeded and I fear there is little you can do unless the traffic is very large or intrusive indeed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So what your saying is that for the 52 weeks a year, my neighbor can let the properly out weekly and with new people each week I can have different people in my backyard each week. I therefore have no ideal who is walking over my property.
LondonlawyerJ and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you