How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2456
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

I need help with a property matter please

Customer Question

I bought a house with my ex partner 10 years ago we have 2 children and have split up, I am now in a new relationship and so is she, we are joint tenants but she is trying to force me into being bought out for a pittance saying she wants my name off the house and by law im only entitled to 40% of any equity as she has the kids ?? Where do I stand legally please

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for your question. We you married to your ex?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello , no we werent married, we were together 4 years then got house, had house 10 years then split up 3 years ago ,i left her in house with kids and went to my mums, i paid towards house for a year then just paid maintenance weekly for the past 2, she is harassing me daily saying the law says she entitled to 60% of equity and she must buy me out, but i dont agree

Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks - this is probably a family law matter and so I will opt out for another lawyer with more expertise in that area to pick it up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I already asked in family law ??? I was directed to property law as it is a question about rights to a property ??

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question
]My name is Clare
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Is her new partner also living at the house?
How old are the children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The house is worth spprox 110,000 there is 55000 left on mortgage, her new partner has his own place, she wants to give me 15000 to take my name off mortgage but says i have to put it in a trust fund for my kids, ive told her to sell it and start afresh as im entitled to 50/50 as we are joint tenants, unmarried, the children are 11 and 5

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello ??

Are you answering my question or not ??