How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33525
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

My neighbours garden has been extended and is blocking my passage

This answer was rated:

my neighbours garden has been extended and is blocking my passage to a private footpath that belongs to all residents in my road, they have since moved out and a new couple moved in, the new people have just built a very large shed on this piece of their garden, where do i stand please?
Well if you have a right to the footpath and they are breaching a right of way then you should ask them to remove the shed or ensure that you continue to have your access. It is often better to do this with the benefit of a solicitors letter. You will need to show them that you do of course have this right of way. You can threaten legal action,but a solicitors letter and threat of such action will normally do the trick. Happy to discussPlease rate positively
ivorylounge and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you, ***** ***** I get a solicitors letter please?

A local solicitor would be able to draw up such a letter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you

my pleasure
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have spoken to my neighbour about this problem, He has told me about 12 others have taken up the footpath too, please , how can this be resolved, I dont want to cause any trouble, I just want to use the footpath.

thank you.


Can you be clearer as to what the neighbours have done please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

nextdoor built a big shed on part of the alley that runs behind the houses, he has agreed to put some sot of doorway in in so i can get out of my garden, but he says several other owners have extended their gardens, so I am back to square one,

do you have a photo of the land?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, I cannot gain access to it. I have six foot fences all round my garden , next door have built a big shed against the fence on my side. and there is a locked gate the other end, I do not have a key.

Well the advice really remains the same as set out above - you need to send them a formal solicitors letter threatening court action unless they allow you access.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thank you

my pleasure
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have personally posted a very polite letter through each and every house over thee werks ago asking them to reply,

Not had one back yet .

thats annoying
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes. I am back to square one

I will have a think for you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would be very grateful, thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

still waiting

It comes back to sending a formal solicitors letter then.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


my pleasure