How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33372
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

My neighbour keeps flooding my garden daily with his hose pipe

Customer Question

My neighbour keeps flooding my garden daily with his hose pipe he uses it excessively the water sits on top of our garden and is running down the foot path to a drain in the road we ask them to turn it off and they are not interested. What can we do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the question. If the neighbour is acting in this manner then the likelihood is he is causing damage to your property. As such you have a potential claim against him for damages for nuisance. You should write to him formally putting him on notice that you will bring a claim against him should this persist. It is often easier to get a solicitor to write such a letter as it often carries more weight. Other things you can consider is raising a complaint with your water company. They may have hosepipe restrictions and also contacting your local authority as this could also be considered to be anti social behaviour. Happy to discuss. Please remember to rate positively - thanks