How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Married 21 years and 2 children. I am Norwegian and my x- husband

This answer was rated:

Married 21 years and 2 children. I am Norwegian and my x- husband British. Divorced from him since 1995. Are his children in Norway in title to inherit from him ?, ( he remarried years ago and have no more children.)
Can he leave them out of a will ? - That is not possible in Norway. I dont know if a will is made.
Regards ***** ***** Carr
Thank you for your question
My name is Clare
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
Which part of the Uk does your ex live in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He lives in South East England. - Norfolk.

In that case if your ex dies without making a Will the under the Intestacy laws his widow will receive all his belongings the first £250,00 of his cash assets.
The balance is divided in two with half being divided between his children immediately, and the other half being invested with his widow receiving the interest until her death when that capital will revert to the children.
If he makes a Will he can exclude his children although they may then be able to make a claim against the estate - although there is no guarantee of success
However if all the assets are held in joint names with his wife they will automatically pass to her outside the Will in any event
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you