How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71147
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

I am renting a house. I have given landlord a notice that I

This answer was rated:

I am renting a house. I have given landlord a notice that I am moving out. I still have a month deposit. The landlord wants the house keys now. I am afraid she may enter the house in my absence and change the locks. I don't have a tenancy agreement. What should I do?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What type of contract is this and when are you due to move out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We paid one month deposit and one month rent. After that we were paying every month into the landlord's bank account. The landlord promised to bring the tenancy agreement but never did. A month ago I gave two months' notice about moving out. It was agreed that we won't be paying last month's rent and live the deposit out. Now the landlord wants the house keys. I am afraid she wants to enter the house in our absence.
I presume she has a spare anyway?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If she has why would she insist on getting one from us? She threatened to call the police to charge me for preventing her to access the property. Since I don't have a signed tenancy agreement I don't know what rights I have. I have proof that I paid the rent and council tax, I have utility bills in my name. My post comes to this address.
Well, for instance, she may not want you to have access.Does this mean you don't know whether she has a spare set or not?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't. She never tried to enter before.
OK. When are you supposed to leave?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My deposit lasts until the 9th of October.
Ok. The landlady cannot just enter. You are on a periodic tenancy agreement and so you are entitled to remain until the notice expires. That said, she is entitled to a set of keys as she is entitled to reasonable entry but that is a separate point. If she does enter and seek to evict you then that is a criminal offence as it amounts to unlawful eviction.
Of course, that doesn't mean she won't do it. Landlords do commit offences sometimes. If so you just call the police.
Who will be delighted to deal with a proper crime for a change instead of mediating domestic squabbles and investigating allegations of sexual abuse against dead people.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much! I am going to have a good sleep tonight! No more worries.
No problem.
All the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remus2004 and 3 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you