How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33388
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I am looking on a property that both owners have

Customer Question

hi I am looking for advice on a property that both owners have died this week
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.
What is your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The couple owned property jointly and the wife passed away on the 5th September and the husband passed away on the 8th September. The wifes family have the property keys, am I legally ok to have the locks changed as I am a member of the husbands family

Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.
who is the heir or executor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The couple left mirror wills therefore no executor as they nominated each other. The couple had no children hence why each side of their family is acting for each of the couple. I am related to the husband who died after the wife but the wifes family has the keys to the property and are reluctant to release them to me. Therefore I am just trying to check if I have a second lock added so that we both need to be in attendance at the property, if this is legal for me to do so?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am in possession of the husbands death certificate as I am arranging his funeral

Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.
Well yes some one has to take responsibility until an executor is appointed. Your approach seems very sensible, particularly as you are arranging the funeral. I would of course keep the other side of the family involved in the arrangements. Happy to discuss - please rate positively
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.
I hope that helps - please remember to rate positively - thanks