How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10776
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

We have entered into an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement

This answer was rated:

We have entered into an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (as tenant) which we would like to terminate. So far so good...however, we have paid up front for a year's rent to attract a discount :-(
What is our best approach to terminating and getting at least some of our money back?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

First and foremost, as you have signed a 12 month Agreement, you are legally bound to pay the rent for the full term, which I note you have already done.

However, most Landlords are happy for a Tenant to surrender the Tenancy early and to find a replacement Tenant PROVIDED the outgoing Tenant pays for any rent up to the date on which the new Tenant moves in aswell as any fees incurred by the Landlord in locating the new Tenant (ie his Agents fees and any admin fees involved).

I therefore suggest that you speak to your Landlord nicely and see if he will agree!

I hope this clarifies the position to you and answers your question.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you