How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10777
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I have one property which we have divided, part of the ground

This answer was rated:

I have one property which we have divided, part of the ground floor is a shop with its own entry/exit point and its own services. The other part is the flat above and kitchen for the flat on the ground floor with its own entry/exit point to the side of the shop & garden behind, (Which doe not interfere with the shop) and again has its own services.
Both the shop & the flat have there own address, which my husband & I own the freehold on and is also under a single Deed number.
We are looking to sell a 10 year lease to the shop part of the building only & we are to remain living in the flat part of the property, which has caused a stumbling block.
How can we deal with this problem, as both our solicitors do not seem to understand each other & we wish to protect our asset being the building that we own the freehold off.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I pesonally don't see a problem, unless you have a Mortgage over the property. Do you?

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No Mortgage on the property, but how can I sort this problem out what forms do I need

Hi Michele,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, I don't see any issue whatsoever- your Solicitor needs to draft a Lease of part, and you will need to obtain a Land Registry compliant plan of the shop, to show the extent of land to be sold, and which will need to be to scale and have a North point.

Once your Tenat's Solicitor has approved the Lease, you will sign one copy and the Tenant another. The Lease will then need to be registered at the Land Registry, and a new Title Number will be granted and the Lease will be noted on your Freehold title.

Unless I have missed something, this is a pretty basic transaction!

I hope I have assisted, and if so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

However, please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for a straight answer, so much happier about the situation

Thanks Michele.

If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my anwer, so I may get credited for my time.

All the best