How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a question about my conditional tenancy agreement.

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have a question about my conditional tenancy agreement. A number of conditions have been accepted by a landlord and confirmed by the agents that they have been done before I signed the contract and made a transfer. I was given a key after I paid and went in to the flat just to see that nothing has been done. Now I want to get my money back as they have not met the conditions prior to the move in date but was told by the agent that I cannot do that as I'm not allowed to break the contract. is that correct? Please let me know when can I seek a proper advice on what I can do in order to get the money back. thank you in advance!
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
How much is the deposit etc? Is anything in writing re the conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

So far I paid 6 weeks deposit (£2880) and one month rent (£2080). I have all conditions listed in the contract that I signed and returned to them. I was given a key only on my move in date and the agent confirmed to me prior to me making the above transfer that all has been done

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.