How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33517
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

A few years ago i was given the title deeds to a terrace

This answer was rated:

Hi, a few years ago i was given the title deeds to a terrace house.The old guy has since passed away, how do I change the name on the deeds?.
When you state that you were given the deeds was this bequeathed to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No they was`nt bequeathed,after his wife died,I think I was the only person he had contact with,and twice a week,without fail I would take him a parcel of books,as I was passing his house,he liked westerns and built a large collection,on numerous occasions I would`nt take any money from him,and one day he passed me a plastic carrier bag,and said "thats for you " and I had a glance when I got home, and then stashed them in the loft That was approx 3-4 years ago.Kind Regards, ***** ***** for your reply,Cheers.

Ok then. This is not straight forward to say the least. The fact that there is no formal transfer to you of the deeds will cause you some difficulties in having your name put on the deeds. It should have been dealt with either by will or formal transfer. As a consequence there is an argument that the deeds have not been transferred to you and form part of his estate. I would be minded if I was you to go and see a local solicitor. The will have to be a determination as to whether a will exists; if there are beneficiaries or indeed whether he died bona vacantia. Sorry not to have provided a more straightforward answer. Please remember to rate positive.
ivorylounge and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you