How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10780
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My Neighbour has the right to put their bin on my property.

This answer was rated:

My Neighbour has the right to put their bin on my property. It is on the leasehold.
Can I either change where they put it or change it in the lease with the owner of the residential house's permission?
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Could you please confirm that you and your neighbour both own a Leasehold property? If so, who owns the Freehold?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are both leasehold and it's owned by The Bradford Property trust.
Thanks for your reply.
On the basis that your Lease grants your neighbour to position their bin in a specified area, in order to change the position, you will need to change your Lease.
This can only legally be done by the preparation of a Deed, which will need to be signed by you and the Freeholder, The Bradford Trust.
You do, therefore, need to approach the Freeholder if you wanted to change matters legally.
I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So if I get permission from my neighbour, do I approach the Bradford trust? Do you know if there is a cost to this, if only rough to change the deed?
Correct- you will need to approach the Bradford Trust, if your neighbour consents.
I am afraid that as the Deed needs to be prepared by a Solicitor and signed and then registered at the Land Registry, you would be looking at the Freeholder's legal fees of approx £650-£750 plus VAT (you would have to pay this) plus your own Solicitors fees which are likely to be about the same.
So, I'm afraid it's not a cheap exercise!
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, that's a great help. My neighbour changed the right of way to the bottom of my garden so I hope they will pay for half the cost, as they did that without my permission.
If I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you