How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Doing a driveway, digging up the drive down to 7 inches hit

This answer was rated:

Doing a driveway, digging up the drive down to 7 inches hit main drain, I thought the legal depth should be a minimum of 2 feet now facing a bill from water company? do they have the right on their side because it was so near the top
Hello my name is ***** ***** and I will help you with this.
Under the water supply (water fittings) regulations 1999 it should be a depth of 750mm which is 29 inches.
So yes it should be deeper. They do not have the right to ask for payment of the bill when it's in breach of the regulations.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A bill has been sent to the amount of 770 pounds- do I have to pay this ?

i do not want to go to court but i feel they are in the wrong

You have a choice. Refuse to pay it and let them take you to small claims court. Or pay it and then take them to court. You won't need a lawyer as it will be a small claim.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to write a letter and explain that they should be responsible for the pipes and it is down to them to cover the cost

Yes I would do that, potentials you can complain to the regulator too
Can clarify anything else for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

l'm sorry one last thing what section in the regulations is the depth requirements?

Read this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

good evening

is there a template i could write out to the company

Sadly not for this. I would just write and set out your position in that it should be (by the Regs) 750mm deep and its not. Therefore they are in breach and you are not responsible for the cost and if they pursue you will seek a Court ruling on it.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

in an earlier reply if it was paid how do i take them to court ? and claim back?

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much and I appreciate your help and expertise. I really do appreciate it.

Kind regards

Happy to help and good luck.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.