How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33527
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

Neighbour dispute. Requested through landlord that a power

This answer was rated:

Neighbour dispute. Requested through landlord that a power cable attached to my fence be removed(was given to 10 Oct ) ,that a gate on access path be removed and garden sheds too close to a rear fence so as to prevent proper maintenance,to re-site. The landlord has written to neighbour ,who has chosen to ignore his instruction .How effective would a solicitors letter be and what is next step if ignored?
Who owns the power cable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not questioning who owns the cable because it belongs to the neighbour What I want is the cable removed from my fence,along with a gate attached to my fence barring acces to side fence for maintenance ,it is an access path for this purpose and access to the neighbours garden,also ,two garden sheds erected close to my rear fence,preventing maintenance. Polite requests have been made by me and the landlord,which have been ignored.The neighbour refuses to budge.
The starting point will be to check whether your neighbour has an easement or right of way over your land. You should check the deeds to find out if this is the case (both your and his) otherwise I would write formally advising him of your plans and that you consider that he is in trespass (I would get a solicitor to write such a letter) with the threat of legal action if he does not re the cable. You are in greater difficulty with sheds etc on his land being too close to your property. The law will allow him to have sheds etc on his land even if very near to yours. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
ivorylounge and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We live in a local authority block of four flats,so we do not own the land nor is there a right of way because we all have clearly defined access to gardens.Theirs is to the rear separated by my fence ( sheds too close) and an access path to their garden separated by my side fence for which I have access for maintenance but unable to because of a padlocked gate half way along the path,which they hung on my fence and it is this fence they have attached the power line to the sheds.
My demands seem simple enough. I want the cable removed!, the gate removed to the entrance of their garden and the sheds moved to give room to maintain fencework. What should be done now to ensure a satisfactory end to this farce?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please see my reply 15 Oct EST 03.49
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please see my reply 15 Oct EST 03.49
I can not see a reply
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please refer to my reply of 11 Oct
Apart from giving this obnoxious person a good thumping ,what can
be done ,in law to resolve the matter?
I would get a solicitors letter sent to him threatening court action if he does not move the cable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How effective is a solicitors letter in this kind of situation ,because the neighbour seems to ignore any communication from me and the landlord. Would he HAVE to respond to the solicitor or to me ,at what point would he be considered 'in contempt'

I think solicitors letters work wonders - he does not have to reply but most people do.