How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A contract between a local authority and myself has expired

Customer Question

a contract between a local authority and myself has expired 4 month now for the renting of my property. I need my place in order to put itn up for sale in order to pay off my buy to let mortgage. This was explained to the local authority but they say I have to wait until they find a place for their tenant which might be difficult as rehousing will depend on the tenant arrears in paying her rent and the position on the list behind other tenants. what can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
It depends on what type of tenancy you had with the Council. If it was an assured shorthold then if it is at the end of the fixed period all you need to do is give 2 months notice and the tenant has to move out. There is no law making you keep the tenant for as long as the Council see fit.
It is your property, you can give notice to have it back (how much notice depends on type of tenancy) and if the tenant refuses to move you simply ask a Court for an order for possession.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: