How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Can you please clarify what if any tenancy rights a person

This answer was rated:

Can you please clarify what if any tenancy rights a person has who is not on a tenancy agreement but does live with their partner in a rented room. The partner is named on the assured tenancy agreement. (Now run beyond its term)
Previously both tenants were named on a similar agreement. They have both lived in the property continuously. They have been at the property 18months.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
On what basis do you want to know their legal rights?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wish to give notice to the tenant on the contract
The person occupying the room has no rights whatever. You can give your tenant notice and ask them to leave and the lodger must also leave too. The lodger can't remain and has no rights at all.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was concerned that the partner may have rights as she has been living in the house without a contract
No rights whatsoever.
Does that help?
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you