How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10953
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I have lived and owned my house years and now my neighbour

Customer Question

I have lived and owned my house for 28 years and now my neighbour of 28 years has now referred to the deeds and plans and is claiming part of my garden is his after i have had my garden landscaped. His garden has been put down to chippings. When i moved into the house the garden was alreadydedefined.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Here the first thing you need to get done is to have a boundary survey carried out. This will clearly define where the boundary actually is. Once you have a proper survey done, then you can send a copy of it to your neighbour. Get a surveyor from the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors to measure the boundary and to carry out the survey. Here is a link to the RICS page on boundary disputes. Use the "find a surveyor" link to get an appropriate surveyor in your area I would advise you to get a survey done, even if only for yourself, before any litigation erupts. These boundary disputes have a habit of erupting, so best be prepared and forearmed.