How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Matt Jones Your Own Question
Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 671
Experience:  I am a qualified and practicing Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Matt Jones is online now

Tenancy agreement staying in property

This answer was rated:

Tenancy agreement for vendor staying in property
Hi there I will try and help. What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what tenancy agreement do i need if i am buying a property and the vendor wants to stay on for some months after completion

thanks. Well there really is only one available to you and that is an assured shorthold tenancy, however the minimum length of term for this is 6 months. You can include a term whereby the tenant give you notice to quit earlier if you want however, however not the other way (i.e the landlord cant end earlier)
Also, Are you buying with a mortgage and is it a buy to let mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

am not buying with mortgage and am happy to sign AST on completion of purchase if it is effective in the case where i do not have the vacant possession on completion and the vendor/tenant stays in property post completion of my purchase.

then yes an AST would cover this. You could, if necessary, include a clause in the sale contract to agree that on completion the AST is dated and completed on the same day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the problem is can the potential tenant obtain any more rights by being in occupation prior to commencement of AST

No. The agreements are completely separate. Once you purchase under the contract of sale the vendor has to provide you with vacant possession. but the minute after formal completion you sign an AST which is a brand new agreement and allows the tenant occupation only under that agreement.
hope that help. do ask any follow up questions. If you are satisfied at present please leave positive feedback. the question wont close and you can ask follow up question later on.
Matt Jones and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you