How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We have recently had to enter a rental property we own because

This answer was rated:

We have recently had to enter a rental property we own because of complaints the tenant had a cannabis farm.
We gave them 24 hours notice of our intention to enter as per the requirements of the tenancy agreement but had no response. We've been inside and found no evidence of anyone ever having lived there, instead we found a cannabis farm. We have crime ref. numbers etc.
We still have had no communication from the tenant.
Now we have regained possession of the property do we still have to apply for a section 21 Notice, even if they have clearly breached the tenancy agreement? I doubt the tenant will resurface but is it now down to them to apply to the courts to regain access? How soon under these circumstances can we re-let the property?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Yes. Otherwise it would be an unlawful eviction. If the tenant confirms they have given up the property then you are ok.
But otherwise you will need S,21/S.8 and a Court order if they dont.
Otherwise you could be prosecuted.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All we have is a previous address and the current one. Where do we address the court order? and what happens if we have no response?
You use the last known address. You serve everything there and apply for possession.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How long does this normally take if we dont hear any response?
A couple of months. If he hasnt paid the rent you can do it on rent arrears and use accelerated possession.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And if we just decide to let the property before then all we are risking is them saying we unlawfully evicted them? Is the tenancy agreement not void as they breached it? Ultimately I just don't think they are going to re-surface.
Yes you risk that.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the tenancy agreement not void if they have been using it for illegal or immoral use?
No. You MUST MUST MUST get a Court order.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, if you can just give me a brief outline of that process id be thankful.
1) Serve S.21/S.8 notice
2) If they dont leave then apply to Court for possession
3) Once possession is granted apply for bailiffs to evict.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you