How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We have a tenant to whom we gave the wrong term in the

This answer was rated:

We have a tenant to whom we gave the wrong term in the tenancy agreement, 3 months instead of six. His tenancy started on 7 September 2015 and he did not sign the tenancy agreement until 11 October when we found out that he had applied for housing benefit.
He has only paid rent of £250 per week for the first 2 weeks, £500 total. He has not paid a deposit. We are now in debt and want to know what options we have. We would like to give the tenant a 6 month tenancy agreement but he will not get housing benefit
as it is only applicable for a 12 month period. Is there any chance that we can get the rent arrears on a 6 month agreement?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What is it you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We were going to see the property before we rented it to a friend. We want vacant possession as soon as possible.How long does a phone discussion last?
Phone discussion would be 15-20 mins.
You want the current tenant to leave?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, as we want to sell the property as soon as possible. The tenant cannot afford the rent without receiving housing benefit and we really do not want to give him a 12 month agreement.
Ok. Is he more than two months behind?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The rent is £250 per week and tomorrow, 9 November, he will be 8 weeks in arrears.
Ok. You serve a section 8 notice to quit. Then after this expires you can apply for possession using the accelerated route at
The process will take a few months.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you