How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

About 10 years ago, our neighbour renovated the side and back

This answer was rated:

About 10 years ago, our neighbour renovated the side and back wall of our garden which adjoined his property. At the same time (with our agreement) he created a passageway at the back of the garden (he sacrificed a small amount of his own land and used some of ours in its creation) – subsequently he gave us permission to walk across his land which would allow us to use this passageway which was particularly useful for moving heavy objects/bikes into the house. Early this year, as we were selling this property, he asked if he could restrict the access to this passageway as his elderly mum was worried about new people she didn’t know (i.e. the new buyers) using it. So he offered us some money to move the boundary back about 2 feet so that the passageway is now considered his territory. He then mentioned that we should then let the solicitors (i.e. the conveyancing solicitors acting for the buyers/ourselves) know about the change in the boundary when we sold the property – which we did. However, I suspect that the land registry documents will not reflect this change and the neighbour is now worried. There is however no dispute with the new owners as to where the property boundary lies. I was wondering therefore what can be done to update the land registry records to reflect this change and indeed whether I have any power to be able to do it? Thanks!
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Do you have anything in writing to confirm the position from the Solicitor?
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Do you have a number we can speak on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi ,yes, number is *****
Ok. I will call shortly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, speak soon.