How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Can i transfer the deeds of a property i own to a friend by

Customer Question

Can i transfer the deeds of a property i own to a friend by simply paying the stamp and signing over the deeds?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. Is your property registered at Land Registry?Is there a mortgage on the property?Kind regards,Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is registered with land registry and no there is no mortgage on the property
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
Basically, there are no “deeds” any more if your property is registered.
This is because with a registered title the deeds are the electronic record held on the land registry database.
In order to transfer the title to your property you and your friend would have to execute a Land Registry TR1 form transferring the property to your friend. Then, you or your friend would have to make an application to the Land Registry by submitting form AP1 with the Transfer and the registration fee (which depends on how much is paid for the transfer or the value of the estate if no money is physically changing hands between you and your friend. Only then would the land registry transfer the title from your name to your friend’s name.
If there is no mortgage then you can do this because there would be no charge which prevents you, but I would urge proper face to face legal advice before you do because it’s obviously not a paper exercise.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave feedback.
Kind regards,