How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2456
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

There, I moved into my rented property in 1988 without

Customer Question

Hello there,
I moved into my rented property in 1988 without a contract. I believe this means I have an assured tenancy. I my husband (now deceased) signed a one year contract in 2007, for an assured shorthold tenancy but once that expired I continued to pay my rent and did not sign a new contract. Does this mean I am still an assured tenant with the rights of one?
My rent is much lower than the market value. My landlord has informed me that unless I sign a new assured shorthold tenancy agreement, he will eveict me and my family.
My landlord owns the entire building. I up until 2 years ago I used to clean the communal stairwell until everyone in the building got together and requested a cleaner. He has not spent a penny in this flat. I have replaced the kitchen, redecorated a number of times, i pay for plumbers, electricians, never ask for anything as it is met with no reply. no smoke alarm, no carbon monoxide alarm. nothing.
My questions are:
Can he evict us?
Do we have any rights?
Will he be able to raise our rent?
Kind regards,
Marina Georgiou
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
On what basis is he trying to get you to sign it? Were you named on the first one?