How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a tenant in a cottage with an assured agricultural

This answer was rated:

I have a tenant in a cottage with an assured agricultural tenancy. His son's girlfriend, who lives in the cottage with the tenant, his wife and son, is now making the rental payments. Does this give the lady any rights to taking the tenancy when the current tenant dies?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Best wishes
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
No. There can be a successor to the tenancy but the details are below.
A close relative of a deceased tenant may apply for succession to the tenancy within three months of the tenant’s death. The application will suspend any notice to quit given by the landlord on the tenant’s death. Two tenancies by succession can be granted, so it is possible for the tenant’s family to work the holding for three generations. But the girlfriend is not a close relative.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you