How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If I own a property outright I cannot expect age care from

This answer was rated:

If I own a property outright I cannot expect age care from social services how do I avoid my home liquidized to pay for health care in later life.? My three children are in my will as recipients of my estate. Should I sign it over instead they are quite young?
Thank you for your question
My name is Clare
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first
How old are you and how likely is it that you will need Care in the next ten years?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
53 and I don't know.
How old are the children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
23,22 and 16
Do you currently have any health problems?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As there is no support I hide my issues. That is to say I would need to be half dead. On the other hand work is extremely stressful.
Realistically you are too young for this step.
There is no way of assessing what the position will be in 20 years time either in terms of what payments will have to be made - or what your personal position will be.
Creating a Trust at this stage will be expensive, have Tax implications and will hinder you should you wish to move in the future.
This is something you shoudl revisit in ten years time when the decision can be made based on the arrangements in force at that time
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you