How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

Damage to gate by parcel delivery driver

This answer was rated:

Recently, a driver of van delivering a parcel to my neighbour reversed his vehicle into my gate and severely damaged it. He got out of his vehicle and inspected it and the gate and then proceeded to drive away without informing me. The whole incident was recorded on my CCTV system. I have noted the van's registration mark from the CCTV footage but there was no livery on the side of the vehicle to identify which organisation it belongs to. Is there any way I can trace the driver of the van in order to seek compensation from him, or his employer, for the damaged caused to my gate please?

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.
Yes you probably can if you can identify the company concerned. Have you asked your neighbour who made the delivery. If he has an order number then tracing the driver will be easy via the company who sold the goods.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, my neighbour was not at home when the attempted delivery was made.

Yes but presumably he knows what it was and with yor information about when the attempt was made it should be possible to work out between him and the vendor who the driver was.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My neighbour is not aware, other than my discussion with them, of the attempted delivery as no information was left by the delivery driver of his visit.

Did he get anything shortly afterwards, if so it may be the same thing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, they received nothing. Can I trace the driver by other means please?

OK you could call the police and report this as an offence of failing to stop at the scene of an accident where damage was caused. What sort of damage was done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was substantial damage (iron twisted, bent and parts snapped off) to my gate.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Police were informed and stated that it was a civil matter.

In that case see this link and trace them through the DVLA.
LondonlawyerJ and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your time. I will now make an application to the DVLA.