How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have lived in our property years and have enjoyed

This answer was rated:

I have lived in our property for 14 years and have enjoyed by licence, from the owner the land the use of a small piece of land to the side that we use as a garden. We have now received a letter from a firm of solicitors telling us that we are trespassing and to vacate the land in 31 days. As we have fenced and kept the land neat and tidy for more than 12 years are we not entitled to claim the land as our own.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Did you ever make an application to the Land Registry for adverse possession?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I have never claimed anything
Its bad news I am afraid. You need to do more than occupy and fence it off. In order to claim land you must make an application at the Land Registry. They will then notify the owner who has a time to object for adverse possession. If they dont object the land is transferred to you. If they do object your application fails.
I assume if you apply now they would object. As such at present the Land Registry has not transferred the land to you and you can be asked to not use it.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No thank you. I always thought you couldn't apply until it had been fenced off for 12 years. Thanks for your advice.
The law changed, its 10 years now.
I am sorry.
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you