How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have owner a house 7 years now, and the previous owner and

This answer was rated:

I have owner a house 7 years now, and the previous owner and the next door neighbour had a verbal agreement that the neighbour could erect a wall onto what is now my property, in order to use the garden steps, about one and a half feet, so effectively they shared the steps. in exchanged he maintained her garden for her.
I was happy to let the old man carry on, but has recently died and I would like to claim my steps back, the house has been purchased already by a builder. I have checked with the land registry and no legal claims have exchanged for the steps. can I claim them back without dispute?
I would very much appreciate your advice
kind regards
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Yes. There needs to be at least ten years exclusive access before an application can even be made to the land registry for adverse possession. Therefore you can claim it back.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you