How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

In the summer i entered a 1 year fixed assured shorthold tennancy

This answer was rated:

in the summer i entered a 1 year fixed assured shorthold tennancy with 2 female flatmates for my second year at uni, one of the stipulations in the agreement is a 1 person policy for each of us with our rooms, upon moving into the flat in september my 2 flatmates have both had full time full live in boyfriends, not what i expected or agreed to when signing the contact, since then relations have worsened and not only am i bullied i am constantly to leave by both the flatmates and their boyfriends. My landlord is not inierest although he initially seemed concerned, he has now just told me he will come after me for money if i leave, what are my options
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What is it you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
really i need to leave now i have been constantly bullied by them, i didnt sign up to live as 5 i thought it would be the three of us, off course odd sleepovers yeah, but not this unable to sit on the sofa, eat at a table ive put up with it for 3 months now i have discussed it im the anti christ and constantly told if i done like 'f off' the landlord will not release me from the contract states if i leave he will come after me for the rent, surely since they have broke the terms of tenancy i have some rights
Do you have any sub agreement between you saying what each of you will and will not do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not sure the agreement is one each is dies state under main terms only 1 person permitted to occupy the proprty it is a flat with 3 self contained bedrooms cumminial loo kitchen lounge etc
1.6 endorses the no more than 1 person rule
1.8 state no improper use, which for my comfort and invasion this feels im suffering
1.9 refers to being a nuisanse again this is to me
1.18 relates to pets they keep an illegal pet
1.26 and 1.27 refer to damage and condition of the property and clearly i do not want to be held accountable for their damages
2.2 states the landlords obligation s to allow me to quietly and peacefully enjoy the property which i an unable to
9.2 refers to the fact that if utility bills are high i can be charged for this, i am expecting such charges due the additional situation and use of gas electric wifi etcI am being threatened, and do not need this i just want to concentrate on the study thats all i am here for
the landlord can see the situation but is unwilling to release me from his contract, yet happy to let the guys live there for free even though it breaches the 1 person rule,,seems i cant win either way
Do you have any sub agreement between you each, rather than the main tenancy agreement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i think we all have the same individual agreement which if i understand it means the landlord is happy with them brreaking their agreement yet due to this consiquence i can not remain but he will not release me from mine, just feels totally wrong
Yes but do you have an agreement between you and the other tenants, or just Landlord?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just the landlord
Its bad news then I am afraid and this will sound unfair. You only have a contract with the Landlord which means if you leave, he can pursue you for that rent. If there was an agreement between you and the other tenants you could do something about it and sue for breach of contract.
Sadly as there is not any agreement each of you can almost do what you want. I know this sounds unfair and unless the Landlord takes action there is nothing you can do. To make matters worse you can't make the Landlord take action UNLESS the tenancy agree says he will.
Then if he does and refuses you could sue the Landlord for breach of contract, but there must be a provision with the agreement between you and him which says he will enforce rules.
I am sorry if this is not the direct answer you want and it will to a certain extent depend on the contract, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i appreciate your honesty and no said life was fair, i has said for the landlord to rent my room to one of the guys, off course no one is interested in that idea, i have also thought about advertising the room to find another tenant i dont know if that is a solution right now i am reliant on my parents making a*****so i can attend lessons, my mum is a guarantee on the rent agreement so he will no doubt get one of us eventually. Since he is letting the others break their agreements and its these actions which have caused the problems do i have grounds to counter sue , i simply can not live there and to be constantly shouted and abused, f off bitch ,,just leave etc
If they are threatening you, that should be reported to the Police.
Can I clarify anything for you at all?
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dad did say his way to deal with it would prove better, i understands what he means now thanks
Good luck.
Please do take a moment to rate before you go today.
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you