How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 12176
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have repaired a blocked lateral drain on my property with

This answer was rated:

I have repaired a blocked lateral drain on my property with a qualified builder and is fine now, but because it is near my neighbours house my neighbour is demanding I put a new one in as far as I can see and according to my builder I don't have to but asking you to clarify I live in scotland
I am a lawyer in Scotland and will help you with this.
If you have repaired the drain satisfactorily, I can think of no reason whatsoever why your neighbour can legally insist on a renewal. I am quite intrigued as to why your neighbour thinks he or she can insist on this. Ask him or her about this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks he complains to other residents in the hamlet as well,about otherthings with them, its how he is,thanks for quick reply nigel
No problem. Please don't forget to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi thanks for saying I can come back to you the guy is a architect and expects every think new where as my builder was highly recommended and I am happy with how he done it he's unblocked it repaired it and there is no problem with the lateral drain now he has now sent me a letter asking for a new drainBut he is not going to go away I've tried talking to the guy but of no avail he pesters until you do it other residents have had problems as said but up till now I haven't mainly because its a holiday Cottage and we aren't there .Would it be advisable to go to a local solisiter to see my options or do I ignore him and see what happens or reply to his letter nigel
Write to him once, tell him the repair has been properly effected and that you are not going to enter into any further correspondence. Do not reply to any subsequent correspondence from him.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks i will do that just one more thing I can pay more if you wishI allowed him rightly or wrongly on my property when he found out my drains were blocked to put a damp course in his side to safe guard his property which he is hinting I should pay half. My wife doesn't see why we should as we have been more than amenable? Nigel
There is no legal obligation on you to contribute to the damp proofing to his house . That is a matter for him.
JGM and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi thanks he's justeing that he had to do it because of our drain.I will credit you later tonight thanks so much you have been brilliant nigel