How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

My tenant won't pay their last months rent insisting I use

This answer was rated:

My tenant won't pay their last months rent insisting I use their security deposit. They are disgruntled because I would not release them from their lease early so I'm reluctant to use their security deposit in case they maliciously damage the property at the end of the lease. I have told them I will put the matter in the hands of a solicitor....should I?
I wouldnt suggest it. Solicitors rack up the cost to you and ultimately can't wave magic wands around. If this tenant is intent there is nothing a solicitor can do. This is a favourite trick of tenants. In the long run it doe them no good because they just leave with bad references and CJA. If they do cause damage you can always sue. You may not recover but they will get a CCJ which will haunt them for six years and that will still be cheaper than a solicitor. The only benefit to a solicitor is if these tenants are going to be intimidated by their letter. Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They have already left the property and signed a new lease elsewhere, so they don't need a reference. I just thought one solicitors letter might put the fear of God up them and somehow blot their copy books :)
That does happen sometimes. The cost would be between £50-100.
If they have gone already though then why don't you just inspect the property and Sue them for any damage.
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They won't release the keys until the lease ends in January. Would I have to find my own solicitor, or could you write the letter? and if so - how quickly could it be done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No answer :(