How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

30 or so years ago and at the request of the then neighbour

This answer was rated:

30 or so years ago and at the request of the then neighbour I removed my fence alongside his garage so he could have some work done on the wall. He declined to pay for reinstatement of the fence and got me to close off both ends of the gap isolating him from the wall and effectively giving me aabout 15inches of extra pathway alongside my house.He has since died, there is no record of the verbal agreement and the house has now changed hands twice.
The question is what rights do I have in relation to this strip of land. Do I now own it? If not can the new owners force me to reinstate the boundary or have I the right to continued use and to maintain the barrier such that they can only access via my land and with my permission?
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
YOU may well own this land through the doctrine of adverse possession ie squatter's rights if you have used it as occupier without permission and without payment or objection for this time.
LondonlawyerJ and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you