How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10974
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

We have a shared alleyway at the side of our house, one of our bedrooms is over the alleyw

Customer Question

We have a shared alleyway at the side of our house, one of our bedrooms is over the alleyway, and on the deeds it is our property, but the neighbour has access right of way only to their rear garden.
But they now have blocked the alleyway and my property will all their bikes motorbikes and various items of rubbish, and we cannot even use the alleyway to get to our garden? no point in approaching them they don't listen. But it is our property ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Here you should yourself or with a solicitor's letter formally write to your neighbour and ask them to remove the bikes, motorbikes and rubbish stating that it is your land and you will remove all items if they haven't been removed within seven days. State that having a right of way over land gives no right to place items on the land. It is purely a right of passage over the land. Accordingly, make clear that you will remove any items blocking the right of way unless this is done within a period of 7 or 14 days. Then if the items aren't removed, you simply take the items and place them outside your house on the roadway, if they are bikes or motorbikes and throw the rubbish in the bin. If you think your neighbour will be aggressive I would advise you to have a solicitor's letter written. However, if you feel the issue can be dealt with, without aggression, then simply write the letter yourself.